Sunday, April 24, 2011

An Easter Tradition: Watching the 1994 Men's World Championships




I'm not sure when it started, or ended, but for a handful of years, my Easter tradition was to watch the men's final of the 1994 World Figure Skating Championships on Easter Sunday with my mom and sister. After church, before having Easter dinner at my aunt's house, we had a window of time to relax at home, and that's when I'd pull out the skating tape of what has to be one of my favorite World Championships of all time.

Easter, a day of happiness and rejoicing, seemed like the perfect time to watch my favorite skating programs, ones that seemed so magical and indelibly linked to that first year I became enchanted with figure skating.

The event, held in Chiba, Japan, was epic. Elvis Stojko, the gold-medalist that year, skating to music from "Dragon: the Bruce Lee Story," came close to making history with his quadruple toe loop, triple toe loop attempt (he flipped out of the second jump, and didn't get credit for landing the combination). Philippe Candeloro, the silver medalist, once again wowed the crowd with his showmanship, skating to "The Godfather," and Ukraine's Viacheslav Zagorodniuk skated the performance of his life to beat out newly-crowned Olympic Champion, Alexei Urmanov, for the bronze medal.

So, without further ado, let's revive my Easter tradition and watch the top three performances from the 1994 World Figure Skating Championships!

Happy Easter!!

Elvis Stojko, gold medalist, skates to "Dragon: The Bruce Lee Story":



Philippe Candeloro, silver medalist, skates to "The Godfather":


Viacheslav Zagorodniuk, bronze medalist, skates to the music of Andrew Lloyd Webber:



No comments:

Post a Comment