Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Wednesday Inspiration: Stephane Lambiel's "William Tell Overture" by Gioachino Rossini

So, I guess my "hiatus" didn't last for long! Only a day after posting that I'd be taking a break from this blog, I'm already back! I did say that I'd probably post occasional "study break" posts, though, I can't classify this one as a "study break" since I didn't do any studying yet today, and don't plan to, either!

This is a post that I hope will infuse a bit of inspiration and happiness into your day. It is gloomy and rainy here today in Bloomsburg, Pennsylvania, and on top of that, it's been a bit of a frustrating afternoon for me, as I received some annoying and disappointing news. Watching Stephane Lambiel's rousing rendition to Gioachino Rossini's "William tell Overture" brought a smile to my face, and I hope it will do the same for you.

Stephane skated this program during the 2009-2010 Olympic season. He chose the music as an homage to Switzerland, his home country. William Tell (Guillaume Tell ) is an opera in four acts by Rossini to a French libretto, based on Friedrich Schiller's play, Wilhelm Tell. Tell, a Swiss folk hero, was an expert marksman with a crossbow who assassinated Gessler, a tyrannical reeve of Habsburg Austria positioned in Altdorf, Uri. Tell is a central figure in Swiss patriotism.

Stephane, selected as the Swiss flag bearer in the Olympic opening ceremonies in Vancouver, treated his third, and final, Olympics as an opportunity to exhibit his Swiss pride and be a good representative of his country.

What I love about this program is that I love everything about it! No need to sing its praises when Stephane's standout skating speaks for itself!

I hope you enjoy it!


For more Stephane Lambiel brilliance, click here to see his "Four Seasons" by Vivaldi freeskate from the 2006 World Championships, when he won his second consecutive World gold medal:

No comments:

Post a Comment