Saturday, December 20, 2014

Day 8: Gracie Gold's "Shake It Off" by Taylor Swift


If there's been a criticism of 19-year-old Gracie Gold's skating, it's that she hasn't found her style yet; she hasn't started skating from the heart. Well, maybe that's true. I agree that some of her competitive pieces are lovely and classic, but don't seem authentic to the person that Gracie is. Have you ever listened to a skater's music and thought to yourself, "I wonder if they actually picked that music themselves, or if they even actually like it all?" That's how I feel sometimes about Gracie's programs, but not with her exhibition pieces, which really seem to showcase a fun-loving, spunky 19-year old. Gracie's face seems to light up when her favorite music is playing.

I love this exhibition to Taylor Swift's "Shake It Off." Gracie is having a lot of fun, and so am I. I hope that Gracie will let more of her personality filter into her competitive programs over time, but for now, we can enjoy her show programs and appreciate her skating for what it is: pretty darn good!





No comments:

Post a Comment