Saturday, December 20, 2014

Day 7: Liz Punsalan and Jared Swallow's "The Race" from 1991 Worlds


I remember seeing clips of this years ago on one of my skating highlight videos. Last night was the first time I watched it in its entirety, and I couldn't believe I haven't watched it sooner. So worth watching!
This program is a must-see!

At the 1991 Worlds in Munich, five-time- U.S. Champions Liz Punsalan and Jared Swallow skated to a song called "The Race" by German band "Yello." They drew their inspiration from the Indy 500 and played two race cars racing against each other: through the trials, into the pits for a tire change, and finally to the race where one will win and one will crash. Such a cool and creative concept! I've never seen anything like it. Later in their careers, this husband-and-wife team were known for such sophisticated, sultry, and mature performances; this was something totally different: funky, fun, and fresh. Loved every second of it!

No comments:

Post a Comment