Saturday, December 20, 2014

Day 10: Robert Wagenhoffer's "Bridge Over Troubled Water" Exhibition


Here's another name that not many of you may know, but believe me, once you watch him skate, you'll never forget it. Robert Wagenhoffer was a 2x U.S. National medalist, 3rd in 1981, 2nd in 1982. He also skated pairs and finished second in the 1979 Nationals with his partner, Vicki Heasley. He retired in 1982 and joined Ice Capades. I wish I knew why he retired so early--he had such incredible potential. Brilliant, actually.

Wagenhoffer died of AIDS at the age of 39 in 1999.

Looking back at old tapes of his skating, Wagenhoffer has no weakness. Superb skating skills, deep, controlled edges, excellent spins and jumps that seem to soar. Not to mention his musicality and creativity. He is the inventor of a move called "The Wagenhoffer," a combination of an Arabian and a flip that I believe I've seen only Robin Cousins and Alexander Fadeyev do in exhibition.

I've watched this exhibition countless times in the last few years. I love it. I appreciate and admire Wagenhoffer's skating so much. I hope you enjoy this as much as I do!




No comments:

Post a Comment