Sunday, January 15, 2012

Lookback to the 2007 U.S. Nationals: Johnny Weir's "Child of Nazareth" Freeskate



I admit that the "Child of Nazareth" freeskate wasn't Johnny's best vehicle, or should I say that he, as an athlete didn't click with this program and as a result he achieved uneven results that season; however, I quite like it as an artistic piece.

This program, just as his short program in 2007 was choreographed by 2002 Olympic gold medalist in ice dancing, Marina Anissina (with Gwendal Peizerat. "Child of Nazareth" is complex and interesting. I love the music, especially the second selection (the fast piece). Not only is the music compelling but I find that I cannot look away because the choreography is so jam-packed with details. On the flip side, I believe the amount of complexities in this program and the lack of places to breathe in the choreography may have been what was problematic for Johnny, but I still think this program could have been successful under different circumstances. The potential was there. Marina Anissina did a terrific job creating this work. Could have been something special!

Despite Johnny's mistakes throughout the season, I find myself not really caring because I still like watching the program. No matter what program Johnny skates and how he does, it cannot be denied that Johnny is a beautiful, talented skater. I'm a fan. Always have been, always will be. There's only one Johnny. He's a gem!! As Kurt Browning says of Johnny in the commentary of this event, "One of the best skaters on the planet!"

I am posting "Child of Nazareth" from the 2006 Cup of Russia and also from the 2007 U.S. National Championships, in which Johnny finished 3rd.

Enjoy!

From 2006 Cup of Russia:


From 2007 U.S. National Championships:

No comments:

Post a Comment