Sunday, January 15, 2012

Lookback to the 2007 U.S. Nationals: Evan Lysacek's superb rendition of "Carmen" by Georges Bizet



Today while cleaning my room, I was watching a VHS tape of the 2007 U.S. National Championships. Having not seen it in several years, I had almost forgotten how spectacular the men's competition was that year in Spokane, Washington! Evan Lysacek was extraordinary! 2007's "Carmen" freeskate was one of my favorite--if not the favorite freeskate-- in Evan's career. He simply owned this program, not only in the technical elements (a Quad-toe-triple toe combination and a triple Axel-triple toe!!) but in his tremendous performance quality. Evan has a unique ability to give his very best under high-pressure conditions and pour passion into every performance. He's a very riveting and exciting performer.

Evan's performance performance was an absolute triumph in every way. What a wonderful moment!! Though five years removed from this competition, congratulations to Evan on such an outstanding Nationals win! As 4-time World Champion Kurt Browning, who was commentating this event said (not an exact quote), "Watching that reminded me why I love figure skating so much....He's what's right about figure skating right now."

I have a great amount of respect for Evan as an athlete and skater and am grateful for his contributions to the world of figure skating. He's a great role model to young skaters. Evan was always the epitome of a hard-working, well-trained, committed, responsible athlete who always portrayed himself with maturity, class, and a great deal of passion for figure skating and life! I have been a fan of Evan's since I first saw him skate (on TV) at the U.S. Championships in 2004 and faithfully followed his career right up to his incredible victory at the 2010 Olympics in Vancouver. I was overcome with pride and joy when it was revealed that he would be awarded the Olympic gold medal. So well deserved.

I really enjoyed watching Evan improve and grow as an athlete and artist over the years and I'm looking forward to seeing him skate again in the future, whether it be in the amateur ranks again, or in Stars on Ice and other skating shows. I have to admit that I would like to see him compete again since he was such a terrific competitor, but we'll see what he decides to do.

I hope you enjoy Evan's "Carmen" by Georges Bizet. The video quality isn't the best, but it will have to do. Evan's sparkling performance should shine through any grainy-video feed!

No comments:

Post a Comment