Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Isabelle and Paul Duschenay's "Missing" Free Dance




The originality and imagination of Paul and Isabelle Duschenay is on full display in this riveting free dance choreographed by Isabelle's then-husband, 1984 Olympic Ice Dance Champion, Christopher Dean (with Jayne Torvill). The program, entitled "Missing" is a tribute to those who have disappeared in South America. Commentator Sandra Bezic describes it as "raw, honest, and intense." I've never seen anything like it in my 18 years of figure skating viewership.


The following are comments from viewers that appear on You Tube:


"I wouldn't be able to describe it better. I am overwhelmed and choke up nearly EVERY time I see it. And I have seen it at least 50 times... One of the greatest moments in sports history, ever. This one will last forever."

"There are still no words to describe this stunning program. Magical, impressive and unique!!! Thank you so much Isabelle and Paul for such an amazing performance. It's simply an ejoyment for the eyes and the heart. I can't stop watching it. My all-time-favourite!"

"Beautiful, we live in Scotland and I remember fondly getting to stay up late with my Mum and we sat in her bed eating munchies and rooting for them. This just blew us away. So beatuiful and haunting. Thank you for uploading!"

*****


Despite the ingenuity of this routine, the brother-and-sister team of the Duschenay's still only finished second in this 1990 World Championship behind eventual 1992 Olympic Champions, Marina Klimova and Sergei Ponomarenko. The Duschenay's went on to win gold at the World Championships the following season in 1991 and finished second at the 1992 Winter Olympics in Albertville, France.

Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment