Tuesday, December 20, 2011

12 Days of Christmas Skating Countdown: Day 6: Kristi Yamaguchi's "Gold" by Linda Eder



One of my favorite Kristi Yamaguchi routines is set to Linda Eder's "Gold", performed during the 2001/2002 skating season. Kristi toured with this number on Stars on Ice wearing a glittering gold costume. Kristi's elegant, superb skating matches the beauty and power of Eder's song.

At the opening ceremonies for the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City, Utah, Kristi also performed "Gold", but in regal red costume. The aduio has been disabled on the opening ceremonies performance, but I have included the video anyway, for Kristi's performance is divine, as always. I can't recall the exact storyline of this spot, but it looks like it depicts the progression of a skater from a little girl with a dream, to an Olympic athlete. I remember watching this live on TV my senior year of high school and getting chills watching Kristi skate.

I have an enormous amount of respect for Kristi.She's always classy, dignified and professional. She's everything a ladies figure skater should strive to be. Truly a class act!

I hope you enjoy Kristi's sparkling skate to "Gold" by Linda Eder.

"Gold" from Stars on Ice:



"Gold" from the 2002 Winter Olympics opening ceremonies. (Kristi appears after the beginning of the routine. Sound has been disabled):

No comments:

Post a Comment