Thursday, February 13, 2014

Let the Games Begin!!!! The 22nd Olympic Games in Sochi, Russia.


The 22nd Winter Olympics in Sochi, Russia have begun, and I couldn't be more excited. Friday evening was cozy and wonderful, as I spent the night with my family at my sister's new house, watching the Opening Ceremonies. We enjoyed the parade of champions, critiquing the and the uniforms of each country. P.S.) Did anyone notice those super-chic "femme-bot"-like ladies carrying the sign for each country?


During the ceremony, I also enjoyed the fabulous synopsis of Russian history told through lumineers, pyrotechnics, and sparkly ballerinas. I have to admit that I don't know much about Russian culture, but after the opening ceremonies show, I found myself feeling inspired to read War and Peace, watch the new Anna Karenina film with Keira Knightley,and re-watch the animated Anastasia movie. One news source called the ceremony a "Breathtaking winter fairy tale." Click HERE to see some stunning photos of the opening ceremony.




It was also nice to see the great Irina Rodnina, thee-time Olympic pairs champion, light the Olympic torch, along with Russian hockey legend,Vladislav Tretiak, widely considered one of the greatest goaltenders in the history of the sport.

Citius, Altius, Fortius! I can't wait to see what the Sochi Olympics hold!



No comments:

Post a Comment