Monday, February 3, 2014

Beauty on Ice: the Lovely Peggy Fleming



When I was in Boston at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, I had the good fortune of running into the elegant Peggy Fleming, 1968 Olympic Champion. I was on my way to try to find Michelle Kwan in the stands, when by chance, I happened to see Peggy Fleming talking to someone. I decided to wait to have my own chance to say hello to this skating legend, who I had grown up listening to on the ABC Sports skating broadcasts. Peggy never ages. She looks just as lovely now as she did when she was on TV with ABC years ago. Her eyes are striking. Peggy was with her husband Greg, who was nice enough to take a photo of myself with Elizabeth, a local skater from Boston, who was sitting next to me at the event. It was a pleasure to meet Peggy and such a thrill to have a brush with such a skating legend!!


Here is a video of Peggy at the 1968 National Championships in Philadelphia,where she won her fifth national title with her finest performance.



Here is a video of Peggy in 1997 skating a tribute to her coach Carlo Fassi, who died of a heart attack at the World Championships that year in Lausanne, Switzerland. As Peggy explains in the introduction, this "Ave Maria" program was very special to her father, who died of a heart attack in 1966. It was his favorite program of hers. Peggy skated "Ave Maria" as her exhibition following her win at the Olympics in Grenoble as a tribute to her father. Peggy decided to return to this classic piece to honor her late coach.



Here is a documentary about Peggy:


No comments:

Post a Comment