Sunday, October 2, 2011

Tatiana Volosozhar and Stanislav Morozov's "Pearl Harbor" by Hans Zimmer



Tatiana Volosozhar and Stanislav Morozov, a pairs team who represented Ukraine from 2004-2010, were never my favorite team, but I do appreciate their soaring lifts and explosive throws.

Tatiana, always the jewel of the pair, is a phenomenal pairs skater. While Stanislav was a strong (physically), supportive partner, he did not excel in skating skill, style, or jumps. I have heard Stanislav called an "ox" by skating commentators, and I'd have to agree with that assessment. He isn't very limber, but you can't discount the fact that he and Tatiana were 4-time Ukrainian champions, 6-time medalists in the Grand Prix series, 4th place finishers at the World Championships in 2007 and 2-time Olympians ('06, '10).

When Stanislav decided to retire in 2010, Tatiana paired with Maxim Trankov, a talented Russian skater. Together, the two are a sparkling team, reminiscent of the storied Russian skaters of decades past. Tatiana and Maxim finished second at their first World Championships in April. It was their first international event. Stanislav serves as one of their coaches. (Click HERE to view Tatiana and Maxim's stunning World's debut).

The other night I was flipping through the television channels and found the movie Pearl Harbor. I haven't seen that movie since it came out in 2001. I remember it fondly because the night I saw it my parent's took me out to a seafood dinner to celebrate my making high-honor roll and National Honor Society at the end of my junior year of high school. After dinner they took me to the movies to see Pearl Harbor, the current summer blockbuster, at the area's biggest movie theater. It was always a special treat to go to the movies and was extra special because it was just the three of us.

I remember being riveted during the movie and loving it thoroughly. The story haunted me and stayed with me for several days after. The music, full of both tension and emotion, is the perfect complement to the film. As watching the movie the other evening, I experienced the power of the Pearl Harbor story and the beautiful film score (by the amazing Hans Zimmer) all over again. I thought to myself that it would be perfect skating music. Caitlin Yankowskas and John Coughlin used the music for their freeskate in the 2009/2010 skating season, but I was unable to find it on You Tube. I did, however, find Tatiana Volosozhar and Stanislav Morozov's version of "Pearl Harbor", which they skated at the 2009 World Championships in Los Angeles.

Though Stanislav makes some jumping errors in their 2009 Worlds freeskate, I was impressed by the amount of technical content that the team attempted: 2-side-by-side- triple toe loops, and a triple salchow. Their throw jumps are fantastic and their split triple twist is superb. Tatiana and Stanislav utilized the "Pearl Harbor" music well. It suits them. This performance is one of the better ones that I've seen this pair deliver. The music gave them not only strength but a softness.

I hope you enjoy watching Tatiana and Stanislav's 2009 Worlds Freeskate to "Pearl Harbor" by Hans Zimmer:


1 comment: