Sunday, October 16, 2011

One-Year Blog Anniversary Celebration: Michelle Kwan's "Fields of Gold" Reprise


One year ago today I started this blog. Click HERE to read my first post.

In honor of this milestone, I'd like to re-post the first program that I ever highlighted on this blog, Michelle Kwan's "Fields of Gold" by Eva Cassidy. Not only is this program one of my all-time favorites, it is the inspiration for the name of my blog.

Michelle's "Fields of Gold" is a very special program that was skated during the exhibitions following the 2002 Olympic Games in Salt Lake City. Michelle experienced a major disappointment in coming up short of the gold in a second consecutive Olympics. Her emotions were raw the next evening in the exhibitions. What ensued was a bittersweet skate to the haunting "Fields of Gold"--a song that ended up being ironic under the circumstances. Halfway through the program, Michelle says that she started realizing how much she loves skating. She skates for herself and for her fans, not for gold medals. That important realization manifested itself in tears streaming down Michelle's face as she finished her program. Her honesty and sharing of emotions is what endears Michelle to all of our hearts forever. As commentator Tom Hammond said of the way Michelle handled a second Olympic disappointment, she handled it with "dignity and grace." I hope to handle all my disappointments in the same manner.

It is my honor to present a reprise post of Michelle's heart-felt "Fields of Gold" by Eva Cassidy:






1 comment:

  1. Thanks for posting this timeless, legendary number. This is also my favorite program of all time.... you described it perfectly. Michelle Kwan is an icon because she was always so generous with her emotions; she always seemed authentic and natural. No where were such qualities on better display than during this intensely emotional performance. I remember watching this live, and she made Scott Hamilton choke up, as well as the British Commentators! Who else can do that???

    ReplyDelete