Friday, October 14, 2011

Ekaterina Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov's "The Man I love", by Ella Fitzgerald, Reprise

It is 8:20 p.m.. I am currently in Starbuck's on Garner Street in State College during Penn State's Homecoming weekend waiting for my friend's to arrive in town. To avoid the craziness and chaos that is PSU Homecoming, I have decided to hole myself up in Starbuck's for awhile to use their free Wi-fi. The song "The Man I love" by Ella Fitzgerald just came on the loudspeaker, which instantly reminded me of Ekaterina Gordeeva and Sergei Grinkov's enchanting exhibition program to that song, skated in the Stars on Ice Tour in 1995, only months before Sergei's sudden death.

I previously posted this program earlier in the year, but a classic program can never be revisted too many times. Ekaterina and Sergei skate with technical brilliance and an unmatched tenderness and grace. As my friend Melissa Mabus said so eloquently upon watching this pair skate, they exhibit "effervescent moments of passion."

Though it is bittersweet to watch Ekaterina and Sergei skate here, knowing that Sergei only lived for several months beyond this performance, this program is also a celebration of their love, their sterling abilities as one of the greatest pairs teams of all time, and a celebration of Sergei's wonderful life.

It is my honor to present Ekaterina and Sergei's "The Man I love" by the great Ella Fitzgerald.



No comments:

Post a Comment