Saturday, October 16, 2010

Michelle Kwan's "Fields of Gold," by Eva Cassidy




My video post is a very special one-- an all-time favorite of mine that has great significance. (Not to mention that it inspired the name of my blog).

Michelle Kwan skated this exhibition routine to Eva Cassidy's hauntingly beautiful "Fields of Gold" during the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City. The title is bittersweet, considering Michelle had just finished third at the second Olympics that she had been favored to win. Sixteen-year-old American Sarah Hughes had stolen the show and won gold in Salt Lake, just as Tara Lipinski, a 15-year-old American had done at the '98 Nagano games when Michelle finished second. As commentator Sandra Bezik said, "Success isn't always measured by a gold medal." This program is not about medals won or lost, but about Michelle's passion to skate.

Peggy Flemming has said many times that Michelle takes audiences on her journey of emotions; she transports everyone. She skates with heart, and that's why her Olympic results don't matter. She'll always be skating in fields of gold...




In a primetime interview with Jane Pauley following the Olympics, Michelle said that her tears in this program were not tears of sadness, but tears of joy. She said: "The crowd was so supportive, so loving, and it was amazing. And, in the middle of my performance, I started crying, because I can...there was so many emotions, you know? I love skating because it’s such a beautiful sport, so soothing, so comforting. That night I felt like, this is why I love it, this is why I’m here."

I had the great honor of seeing "Fields of Gold" live at a performance of Champions on Ice in Philadelphia in the Spring of 2002. I will never forget it!

No comments:

Post a Comment