Tuesday, November 9, 2010

Ryan Jahnke's "Grieg Piano Concerto in A Minor"

This week's theme is underrated U.S. Men: The purpose of this week's posts are to highlight some of the superb U.S. skaters who glided under the radar throughout their careers.

Today's profiled skater is Ryan Jahnke, the 2003 U.S. National bronze medalist and World Team member.


Ryan, now 32-years-old, trained in Colorado Springs, Colorado at the Broadmoor Skating Skating Club throughout his amateur career. His long-time coach was Diana Roynayne. His choreographer was Tom Dickson, who also choreographed for Matt Savoie. (Dickson created terrific pieces for both skaters, but then again, he had terrific athletes and artists to work with in Matt and Ryan).

Ryan has recently developed a skating Web site called myskatingmall.com. The site is a forum for skaters to buy and sell new and used figure skating items. Between 5-90 percent of every purchase raises money for registered figure skating clubs, teams, and charities.


Just as I wrote in the last post about Matt, I don't know that much about Ryan. This is due in large part to the fact that he didn't receive as much on-air attention from TV commentator, and didn't have as many press articles written about him as other U.S. skaters during his career. But this is in no way indicative of Ryan's ability and achievements as a skater. Besides, it doesn't matter what you know about a skater, all that matters is how their skating makes you feel.

My first real memory of Ryan is from the 2003 National Championships in Dallas, TX. I remember watching it on TV from my college dorm room. It was BIZARRE! There were a number of catastrophes: skaters getting injured, skaters having costume malfunctions, skaters having competitive meltdowns, you name it! One of the biggest surprises of the day--and a good one at that-- was Ryan, who was ranked 8th in the nation at the time, defeating the reigning Olympic bronze medalist Timothy Goebel in the freeskate. (Nothing against Timothy, but it was wonderful to see a lower-ranked athlete finally skate up to his potential and trounce the competition. Booya!) Ryan finished second in the freeskate and moved up to third overall. He earned a spot on the World Team for the World Figure Skating Championships in Washington D.C. later that year.

Despite the fact that Ryan did not medal at the U.S. Championships again in his career, it doesn't matter. He gave skating fans many memorable performances that will stand the test of time, including his national freeskate in 2004,( which I feel should have put him on the podium), and the program posted below: Ryan's 2004 Skate Canada Freeskate to "Grieg Piano Concerto in A Minor." Not only do I love the music, I love the way Ryan skates with such in-the-moment passion, beautiful edges, spins, and artistry. Wonderful!! At one competition with this program, Paul Wylie, who was commentating on the event, said that you can't teach the kind of passion that Ryan skates with. Coming from Wylie,a skater who "pours art into souls," that's a huge compliment. I completely concur!! Medals? Who cares?! Ryan is an amazing skater whose qualities can't be quantified in gold, silver, and bronze.

On a side note: In the spring of 2004, Ryan was the special guest performer at the Penn State University Ice Show. I was a Penn State student at the time, but currently at its Altoona branch, about an hour from main campus. When I found out Ryan was going to be skating, I made the trip from Altoona to State College to see the show. As I was waiting in line for my ticket, I saw Ryan standing in the lobby, just looking around. What struck me was that no one seemed to recognize him! No one came up to him to ask for an autograph or to compliment him on his brilliant freeskate at the U.S. Nationals just months earlier. I really wanted to go up to him to tell him what a great skater I thought he was, but nerves got the best of me and I didn't. I regret not being more outgoing! However, despite not meeting him, I did get to enjoy his skating in the show. It was exciting to see him skate live, and I'm so glad I made the trip!

I hope you enjoy the performance posted below as much as I do!





No comments:

Post a Comment