Sunday, November 7, 2010

Brooke Castile and Ben Okolski's "Requiem for a Dream" and ....Johnny Moseley, 1998 Olympic Moguls Champion!


In light of the press release I just posted about the "Skating with the Stars" premier on Nov. 22 on ABC, I've decided to post a video of Brooke Castille and Ben Okolski's stunning national championship win in 2007. The beautiful Brooke Castile will be one of the stars on the Skating with the Stars show. (She will be paired with 1998 Olympic gold medalist in Moguls, Johnny Moseley of the U.S.)

With this dynamic free skate featuring a high-flying split triple twist and powerful throw jumps, Brooke and Ben captured the U.S. National Championship. Brooke, originally from Detroit, and Ben, from Tuscon, trained in Grosse Point Michigan throughout their amateur career, which included third place finishes at the 2008 nationals and the 4 Continents Championships.

I saw Brooke and Ben skate live at the Marshalls Showcase in 2007 in Reading, PA, following the conclusion of the 2007 competitive season. They were still riding the high from their national win and first world championship appearance, and skated with speed, verve, and attitude. I imagined them having a long, successful pairs skating career; however, that didn't exactly pan out. Brooke and Ben were hampered with injuries throughout their careers that prevented them from gaining momentum or recreating the success of their 2007 nationals win. Despite all that, they are one of my favorite U.S. pairs! Their quality of skating, power, grace, and artistry are undeniable.

When my sister and I attended the 2009 U.S. National Championship in Cleveland, Ohio, we had the pleasure of seeing Brooke and Ben perform an enchanting freeskate to "Claire de Lune" by Debussy, choreographed by the magnificent, Marina Zoueva. With some mistakes, they finished 5th, but I still remember how absolutely gorgeous the program was--by far the most beautiful of the evening. Afterward, while out in the lobby, my sister and I saw Brooke signing autographs. We went up to Brooke and told her how "enchanting" the performance was. She signed our program!

Last season Brooke and Ben skated the same "Claire de Lune" program at the nationals. Again, they made some costly errors, and finished just off the podium in 4th, but the magical quality of their skating that evening will always be remembered. I remember feeling quite moved by their lyricism and gentility. (I will definitely post that program at another point in time when I highlight some of my favorite U.S. skaters).


Last spring, Brooke and Ben announced their retirement from amateur skating. Both will remain involved in the sport in the coaching and choreographing realms. I hope that they perform again from time to time, too!

Please enjoy their powerful rendition of "Requiem for a Dream"--their 2007 National Championship gold-medal winning performance!






In Skating with the Stars, Brooke will be paired with 1998 Olympic Champion in Moguls, Johnny Moseley of the U.S.


I remember watching Mosely's thrilling Olympic win on TV. He subsequently became a freestyle skiing and Olympic superstar and is now a commentator for the sport. Most recently at the Vancouver games in February, I very much enjoyed his insightful and enthusiastic commentary. A quick internet search about the moguls star led me to information I never knew before: Moseley was born in Puerto Rico and became the first Puerto Rican ever to be selected to the U.S. Ski Team. Here's a video of Moseley's awesome 1998 Olympic Gold medal run:









No comments:

Post a Comment