Wednesday, April 22, 2015

Paul Wylie's "Apollo 13"


Just saw a news article on nbcsports.com reporting that Paul Wylie had a "heart problem" this morning. The article was vague, but with any hope that means that it wasn't anything too serious, and Paul will be okay. Thoughts and prayers go out to him and his family. I wish him a comfortable and speedy recovery!

In thinking of Paul, I am reminded of all the extraordinary moments that he provided for me and his fans. I've said it before, but with skating this day in age being so about tallying points, I appreciate the sheer simplicity and passion of Paul's skating from 20 years ago. Skating has surely evolved technically in the last 20 years, but what about artistically? I don't feel anyone is doing anything like what Paul did with his artistic programs in the 1990s. The quality of the lines, the edges, the speed, and the overall performance quality is virtually unmatched today. He had the ability to really make you, the audience member, feel something. The packaging--choreography, music, technical elements, and delivery--all exquisite.

Out of all of Paul's Masterpieces, I feel like his "Apollo 13" program is one that I don't re-watch as often. Not for any reason, really, other than that the video was hard to find on You Tube. I just re-watched it now, and am very glad that I did. Such a moving work that will leave you appreciating Paul's talent and all that he has given to the sport over the years.

Get well soon, Paul!





Paul's "Apollo 13" program:


No comments:

Post a Comment