Friday, May 6, 2011

Shakespeare on Ice: Kristi Yamaguchi's "Romeo and Juliet"

In honor of a good semester of Shakespeare and the Shakespeare final exam last night, I thought it would be fitting to post some Shakespeare on ice today.

At the 1993 World Professional Championships, then newly-crowned Olympic Champion, Kristi Yamaguchi skated this masterful program to Tchaikovsky's "Romeo and Juliet". Kristi's exquisite artistry is on full display here. It is with subtle grace and ethereal movement that she portrays Juliet.

This music has been skated to more times than I can count (it's on the same list as Bizet's "Carmen"), so it is no small feat that Kristi manages to bring something fresh to this interpretation. Her movements are delicate and nuanced. The feeling of the performance is natural and honest.

I wish I could further articulate the beauty of Kristi's skating here, but my mind is sufficiently fried from finals week. Fortunately, Kristi's skating speaks for itself.

I hope you enjoy Kristi's "Romeo and Juliet":



Shakespeare bonuses:

Tatiana Volosozhar and Maxim Trankov's "Romeo and Juliet" from the 2011 World Championships: http://susanfieldofgold.blogspot.com/2011/05/world-debut-tatiana-volosozhar-and.html

Marina Anissina and Gwendal Peizerat's "Romeo and Juliet" from the 1998 Winter Olympics:http://susanfieldofgold.blogspot.com/2011/04/marina-anissina-and-gwendal-peizerats.html

Marina Klimova and Sergei Ponomarenko's "Romeo and Juliet": http://susanfieldofgold.blogspot.com/2010/12/12-days-of-christmas-skating-style_9626.html

Kurt Browning's portrayal of Mercutio from "Romeo and Juliet": http://susanfieldofgold.blogspot.com/2011/02/kurt-brownings-portrayal-of-mercutio.html




1 comment:

  1. So I guess it's never too late to comment? I remember seeing this on TV and hadn't seen it since then, but had strong memories of it. Something made me think of it recently and when I looked it up, I found your blog. Thanks for posting it, and for the links to other R&J on ice programs. I had not seen most of them.

    ReplyDelete