Tuesday, December 14, 2010

A Final Exam Weeks Boost: Alissa Czisny's "You'll Never Walk Alone" by Barbara Steisand


Back in 2003, my parents sent me a box of Krispy Kreme donuts as a special treat during final exams week. The donuts were an unexpected boost during a week of late-night studying and last-minute cramming. Now, 7 years later, I am once again in college, and in need of a boost during finals week! These days, I'd rather something besides donuts to give me some extra energy (although if someone sent me Krispy Kremes, I certainly wouldn't turn them down!) This afternoon, I found just what I was looking for: an inspired skating performance by Alissa Czisny, full of the kind of hope and magic that nourishes any soul.

This performance is from last weekend, after Alissa won the prestigious Grand Prix Series title that has always been a dream of hers. Coming off of a rough season last year that included her drop from 1st in the nation in 2009 to 10th in 2010, destroying her chances to make the Olympic team, Alissa went into this season looking for a bit of redemption. After claiming gold at Skate Canada, bronze at Trophee Eric Bompard, and gold at the Grand Prix Final, Alissa has proven that she has what it takes to be among the World's best. She's catapulted from 12th to 6th in the International Skating Union World Rankings, and is within striking distance of the top.

This weekend's win proved to Alissa that her persistence in the sport is paying off, and yes, dreams do come true. This grand Barbara Streisand version of "You'll Never Walk Alone," coupled with stunning skating and a feel-good story, make this performance one that brings a smile to my face. Now, back to studying!


No comments:

Post a Comment