Tuesday, October 18, 2016

Adam Rippon: Taking Musical Risks



I've taken a 9-month hiatus from my blog. This is the longest break I've ever taken in my blog's 6-year history. The break had nothing to do with my lack of interest in skating, or a lack of interest in this blog, but rather, due to the craziest life-schedule that I've ever had. I've gone through a lot of ups-and-downs since January. Last I wrote was the evening of the men's freeskate. Since then, I have had six jobs and a new relationship. Needless to say, my blogging time has been non-existent. But I've missed it. I hated that this project that I've had going for six years was almost defunct, but I knew that at the right time, I would bring it back. Now is that time! I wouldn't say that my schedule has died down, but the desire to write about skating and to share the beauty and power of the performances was stronger has won out.

Since my last blog post discussed the men's final of the U.S. Figure Skating Championships, it seems fitting that I am going to reprise my blog by focusing on that competition's gold medalist: Adam Rippon. Also since that blog post, I have had the chance to interview Adam on the telephone and write an article about him for a Pennsylvania lifestyle magazine. I had a wonderful conversation with Adam and marveled at how down-to-earth he was. So polite, respectful, friendly, funny, and insightful! It was a great experience.

In today's post, I'd like to feature Adam's awesome performance from the 2016 Worlds in which he threw down the gauntlet. Though he finished sixth, the result hardly matters, as his skating was the most smooth, confident, and consistent that I've ever seen it. That in itself was a personal victory! In skating to the Beatles, Adam, who typically skating to classical "War horses" in the past, tried something completely different. This season, he's skating to "Bloodstream" by Stateless. Prior to seeing Adam's performance at the Japan Open, I had never heard this song before. It was so different than anything that I've heard, and is certainly different from anything that we've heard in the skating world. So refreshing! I've heard some mixed reviews about this program, but just given the fact that it's something so fresh and will stretch Adam to new artistic heights, I am a big fan. I feel that this program is an authentic extension of Adam and I like the vibe that it delivers.

In my interview with Adam, he expressed that he wants to skate to music that more people can relate to--something that will bring in new audiences. I feel this "Bloodstream" program does just that.

My respect for Adam went up several notches since our interview and I wish him nothing but the very best for this season! I'll be rooting for him!


Adam's 2016 World "Beatles" Freeskate:






Adam's "Bloodstream" by Stateless:


No comments:

Post a Comment