Thursday, March 29, 2012

12 Year Anniversary: Michelle Kwan's Gold-Medal Winning Worlds Freeskate in Nice, France



Twelve years ago the World Figure Skating Championships were held in Nice, France, the site of the currently ongoing World Figure Skating Championships.To commemorate those Worlds, I'm posting Michelle Kwan's winning performance to music from the movie soundtrack to the film, "The Red Violin." With this haunting and riveting freeskate, Michelle won her third World title.

I remember that I actually missed this performance when it was broadcast on TV because I was attending a friend of mine's 16th birthday party. I had my mom and dad tape the event for me and I watched it when I got home that evening. I can vividly recall getting chills while watching Michelle's performance. This was the first time that I saw Michelle Kwan get into this aggressive fighter mode where she seemed unable to set a skate wrong. (My sister refers to this as "The Michelle Kwan Fighter Face"!) Michelle's program was technically precise, artistically complex, and skated with a great deal of speed and passion. Brava to the "Kween" for this exemplary World Championship skate!

Enjoy!

2 comments:

  1. So lovely. I also enjoyed Dick's commentary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I always enjoy Dick's commentary! I truly miss hearing him call events. I always wonder what he'd say during skaters' performances!

    ReplyDelete