Thursday, January 6, 2022

Nancy Kerrigan's "Desperate Love" short program from the 1994 Olympics

Twenty eight years ago today in Detroit, Nancy Kerrigan was attacked at the U.S. Figure Skating Championships. It's a dark day in figure skating history, but out of the ashes came a courageous and triumphant performance from Nancy Kerrigan at the 1994 Olympics, and an onslaught of media attention and interest in the sport that resulted in an explosion of figure skating competitions and shows on TV. This technical program is one of my favorites becuase it's one of my first memories of skating. The day after the techincal program, we had a snow day and I was home from school. I remember watching this program over and over. I'd never seen anything more elegant and beautiful.

No comments:

Post a Comment