Sunday, April 5, 2020

A Reawakening: Skating Inspiration in a Time of Trouble


Last night I watched Julie and Julia. It's been a few years since I indulged and boy was it just the boost I needed. In this strange, uncertain, time of world-wide pandemic, when anxieties are running high and meltdowns are imminent, it's good to partake in whatever makes us feel distracted, happy, and rejuvenated.

Julie and Julia is the movie that inspired me to start this blog more than a decade ago. In the film, when struggling writer Julie Powell's husband Eric points out to Julie that "Julia Child wasn't always Julia Child." In other words, she was once a struggling-something, also. She had also started from scratch and worked her way up in the world. These words not only encouraged Julie Powell, they also inspired me.

Last night's viewing reminded me that we all have to start somewhere and it's important to find your joy and share it with others.

I've been away from blogging for awhile, due to career transitions and side hustling up to whazoo, but also because the world of skating hasn't sparked as much inspiration in me as it has in years' past. I still love it, I just haven't felt the urge to write about it.

Lately; however, visions of ice skaters have been dancing in my head. Maybe it's the extra time we've had lately, or maybe it's the removal of distractions that have kept me from my passions, but in any case, I'm back!

No comments:

Post a Comment